Ants are the small creatures in the world but they make much trouble in home. These little culprits enter into your home soon when you spill any food items or sugar and forget to swipe it up. There are more than 12000 species of ants in the world and the total biomass of all ants in the earth is equal to the total biomass of all the people. The most interesting fact about ant is they do not have ears. Instead of hearing they move by feeling vibrations in the ground.
They have two stomachs one is for processing food that they eat and other one is for storing the food. These ants live as colony which is headed by a queen, whose function is to lay thousands of eggs to ensure the survival of the colony. The most dangerous species of ants are carpenter ants which cause damages to the woods in your home. You should know some home remedies to kill those ants. Here you go with some of the easiest and useful home remedies for ants in kitchen and garden.
Home remedies for ants in Kitchen and Garden
Home remedies to get rid of ants in kitchen
Read Also: Homemade ant killer
You can make use of the simple things available in your home to stay away from ants.
- You can use table salt which is the cheapest home remedy for ants. Boil the water and add salt in it. Use the spray bottle to spread the salty water in all places where you usually find ants. Instead of salt you can make use of black pepper in the hot water to spray.
- You can mix the soap in the water and spray to get rid of ants. The contents of soap are harmful for all types of ants. Lemon will also work effectively like soap, so you can use it in the places where you find ants.
- Take a cucumber, cut it into small pieces and keep it in the ant affected place. Ants don’t like the smell of cucumber so that quickly it will leave from that place. The same way ants don’t like the fragrance from the talcum. You can sprinkle the baby powder everywhere to stay away from it. These can be the best home remedies for ants.
- Crush the egg shells and put it on the window or door or any place where the ant enters. The shell will act as a natural repellent to avoid ants. Otherwise follow the track of ants to find out the way it enters and caulk the crack or spread some petroleum jelly to prevent ants from entering.
- You can use chopped garlic, black pepper, cinnamon or mint to naturally protect the ants from entering into home.
- Try white vinegar and water to kill ants which can be the best and cheap pesticide. Mix half vinegar and another half water in a spray bottle and spray directly on the ants which can be the best home remedy to kill ants.
- This is completely natural and surely works against ants. Just sprinkle the boric acid in the places where you commonly find ants. It works like the poison in ant’s stomach and they will die soon.
- If you find any ant nest near the wall or somewhere else in your home, you can make use of the hot water to destroy it. Boil the water until bubbles come out and then pour it on the entry hole of nest which can kill hundreds of ants at a time.
- Ants hate the smell of essential oils which smells pleasant to humans, so make use of the essential oils like lemon oil, peppermint oil, lavender oil and cedar oil to keep ants away from your home. This can be the best home remedy for ants in kitchen.
How to get rid of ants in garden?
If you have vegetable garden in your home and you are worrying about killing the ants without pesticides because you don’t want pesticides to get onto vegetables then here are some of the remedies to kill ants using natural ingredients.
First soak the tobacco in water overnight and make a tea with it. Filter the water and pour it directly on the ant hills. The ant’s colony will die and then you can spray some baby powder to fill the holes of ant hills if you find any.
Another best home remedy to get rid of ants outdoor is using boric acid and sugar. Mix small amount of boric acid into a cup of sugar to make a paste. Just drop the pieces of that paste near the ant hills or anywhere you see the ants. They will take the sugar and get back to their nest which will kill the whole colony of ants. You can get rid of the ant mounds by using this simple method. You can also use the vinegar to kill the ants. Just spray it on the ants or the place where you find more ants. This works effectively so you can get rid of ant hills. All these are some of the useful methods or home remedies to stay away from the ants.
You can directly make use of some natural substances like cinnamon, coffee grounds, lemon peels, cayenne pepper and more to get rid of ants in your garden. Ants hate the smell of these natural substances so it will be effective if you use them on the ant hills. Some of the essential oils like lemon oil, peppermint oil, lavender oil, etc will also works great in killing ants.
You may also like: Homemade coconut oil hair mask
You can make use of the following tips to avoid ants in your home.
- Often check window ledges and doors where you can find ants. If one ant comes it will lead to thousands of ants and it leaves invisible scent trial. So clean the materials to get rid of ants.
- The best way to keep ants out of your house is to keep it clean always. Try to avoid spilling of sugar or any sweet as it attracts the ant with its smell.
- You can keep some sugar paste or sticky mixture along with sugar and keep it outside of your home at summer. Ants first go to that paste and stick on it. You can avoid ants inside your home by using this simple tip.
- Powder the chalk and spread in the corners of wall and windows to stop ants from entering into home.
- The easiest way is squash the ant with your fingers when you see them.
We hope you find this article useful to get rid of ants and please let us know some other methods that you use to kill ants. Also share your feedback in the following comments section which will be useful for other users.