Video editing takes a lot out of a computer. You have to make sure that your processor and RAM are up to par to handle the intensive amount of memory usage. You also have to consider things like your overall budget and your screen display preferences.
This article is going to cover six of our best laptop for video editing picks. We are going to list the products based on their base purchase price and will cover the main pros and cons associated with each one.
*The following products were ranked by price, from the most affordable to the most expensive one.
1: MacBook Air
The first best laptop for video editing pick is the MacBook Air. The biggest area this particular model excels in is its impressive 12-hour battery life. This is much greater than all of the other picks that have been covered.
It also comes with SSD storage by default and the improved 802.11ac wireless connectivity. In terms of processing power, this model comes with a powerful 1.8GHz dual-core i5 processor.
- Very lightweight.
- Impressive 12-hour charge capacity.
- SSD comes with all models.
- No Retina display option available.
- Screen size is somewhat small at 13 inches.
- Limited upgrade options.
Price: Starts at $999.
2: Dell Precision 5520
Our second best laptop for video editing is the Dell Precision 5520. It’s currently one of the thinnest and lightest laptops available today with a weight of less than four pounds.
The standard model comes with an HDMI port for those of you who want to display your videos on your television sets. The monitor is 4K ready which is a definite must for virtually any modern video editing.
- The base model is quite affordable for the stats.
- The 4k monitor comes standard.
- Extremely lightweight and portable.
- Battery life is somewhat lacking.
- Keyboard feels brittle.
- Combination audio and headset jack only.
Price: Starts at $1,399.
3: Asus ZenBook Pro UX501VW
Our third best laptop for video editing pick is the Asus ZenBook Pro UX501VW. The base model comes with a standard 4k display with 100 percent sRGB for crystal clear accurate color display.It also features a powerful quad-core i7 processor that clocks in at 3.6GHz. This laptop is a great fit for multitasking and memory intensive jobs like video editing.
- Responsive SSD storage is standard.
- 4k monitor with 100 percent sRgb.
- Faster Wi-Fi connection speeds with 802.11n.
- There are no configurable purchase options.
- The screen is somewhat glossy.
- It is not as lightweight as other options.
Price: Starts at $1,499.
4: Microsoft Surface Book
Our fourth best laptop for video editing is the Microsoft Surface Book. It features an impressive sixth generation i5 processor that is more than capable of handling memory intensive tasks like video editing.
With a display that boasts six million pixels, the picture quality is stunning on this model. It is also one of the lightest choices available and quickly changes from a laptop to tablet with just a quick snap.
- It is very lightweight and portable.
- This laptop has an impressive battery life.
- It comes with a rich display.
- Lack of dual monitor 4k support.
- Keyboard feels flimsy and weak.
- No upgrade potential for later on.
Price: Starts at $1,499.
5: HP ZBook Studio G3
The HP ZBook Studio G3 is our fifth best laptop for video editing pick. Where it shines is its relatively powerful Nvidia Quadro M10005 with DDR5 memory. It also comes standard with 256GB of SSD storage as well which is a huge plus. In terms of processing power, this model really delivers with a blazing fast Intel Core i7 processor.
- It has a powerful i7 processor.
- Standard SSD storage.
- It comes with an impressive graphics card with DDR5 memory.
- The monitor is not 4k compatible.
- It only has two USB ports.
- Its battery life is not that impressive.
Price: Starts at $1,862.
6: Lenovo ThinkPad P70
The Lenovo ThinkPad P70 is our sixth best laptop for video editing pick. The most impressive feature about this laptop is that it supports the most expansion capability.
It supports up to four separate storage devices and can be customized with a 4k monitor and other exciting features. The other area this laptop shines is its impressive 96 WHr battery.
- Impressive 96 WHr battery.
- Supports up to four storage devices.
- Memory is expandable up to 32 GB.
- This is one of the heavier laptop choices on the market.
- The battery is not user replaceable.
- Customizations quickly drive up the price.
Price: Starts at $1,889.10.
7: Apple MacBook Pro
Our seventh best laptop for video editing pick is the Apple MacBook Pro with touch bar. With a powerful retina display, you can view most files in their native resolution with ease.
It is recommended that you spring for as much storage space as possible when going with this option. You should also go for a quad core to help with processing tasks if your budget allows.
- This laptop’s retina display option supports a broad range of resolutions.
- It has an impressive battery capacity.
- Provides support for multiple 4k monitors.
- Very pricey with upgrades like quad core and SSD hard drive.
- Software options are more limited with Apple.
- Expansion capabilities are somewhat limited.
Price: Starts at $2,399.00.
Putting It All Together
All of the laptops covered in this article are perfect for editing videos. They have impressive processors, large amounts of memory, and displays that are above average to cutting edge. Take your time browsing our picks and select the one that best fits your needs. When you have had a chance to try out your purchase, tell us about your experience.
Image source: 1